Press "Enter" to skip to content

Coffee Chat Info Dump!

E.C.’s grandma: Don’t be furious, get curious!
J.K.: Embrace diversity with curiosity!

So you have your autism diagnosis:

Apply for IHSS (In Home Support Services)
– use a disability advocate, their knowledge is worth it!
– recommendations: Galt Advocacy
– if you qualify for Medi-Cal then apply for IHSS asap because it gets back dated to date of application, then apply to the RC (Regional Center)
– if you don’t qualify, then first apply to the RC
– apply for Medi-Cal through the RC (medic-alert bracelet/keychain/etc. monitoring service counts as receiving service) then you can apply for the Medi-Cal income eligibility waiver which will allow you to apply for IHSS.

  • For IHSS You must physically reside in the United States. 
  • You must also be a California resident.
  • You must have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.

  • You can talk most advocates for free to see if they think you will qualify for IHSS. If your child is an elopement risk or requires constant supervision, then it is worth seeing if you can receive IHSS funds for protective supervision. IHSS funds are not taxable if the service provider is a parent living with the child.

Regional Centers (RC)

O-3 years early intervention is through the RC

3-6 years get an evaluation through your local school system even if you don’t plan to attend public school
– if you don’t have a diagnosis through the RC, it is worthwhile to pay out of pocket for an evaluation, otherwise the school system is likely to avoid the ASD label since that makes your child eligible for more services

16-18 years begin transition to adulthood support through the RC

CA education system info:

If you might use public school, apply for an evaluation for an IEP (much easier to choose not to accept it than to have to try to get it later)
If you plan to use public school get an educational advocate (recommendations: Galt Advocacy)
Good IEP blog by an educational advocate in Pennsylvania: A day in our shoes

Needed for RC to provide services after early intervention ends (around 3 or 4 years)
PWN: Prior Written Notice
Insurance needs to also give a letter of benefits to show lack of coverage